Adapted from Thug Kitchen’s Eat Like You Give a F*ck
1 tsp olive oil
1 cup chopped yellow or white onion
2 tsps chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
4 – 5 cloves garlic, chopped
3 cups cooked pinto beans (I used a mix of pinto and black beans)
1 can (4 oz) mild green chilies
juice of 1/2 lime
1 cup sweet corn kernels
12 flour tortillas
- Crank your oven to 400° F. Coat a large baking sheet with a little cooking spray. (I brushed a little oil on my pan)
- Heat the oil in a large saute’ pan over medium heat, add the onion and cook until it starts to turn brown – about 5 minutes. Add the chili powder, cumin, salt and garlic and cook for another 30 seconds and then turn off the heat.
- Combine the beans, chilies and lime juice in a big bowl. Mash with a potato masher or spoon until a paste forms. It’s ok if there are some whole beans left here and there.
- Fold in the sauteed onions and corns and stir. The filling is ready,
- Warm the tortillas using your preferred method. Add approx 2 heaping tablespoons of filling and spread in a line, across one side of the tortilla. Then roll it up nice and tight from left to right. You could even put a small smear of beans toward the other end of the tortilla to help them stay shut. Place the flauta seam side down on the baking sheet. Keep filling until you run out of filling. (I used taco size tortillas and made 12 with filling leftover).
- Light coat all the flautas with cooking spray (or brush them lightly with oil) and bake for 10 minutes; the bottoms should be golden, if not put them back in for a couple of minutes. When the bottoms look good, turn them over and bake until they’re golden on both sides, another 5 – 7 minutes. Serve warm topped with lettuce, guacamole and salsa.