Summer. It IS my FAVORITE thing!
Hot temperatures, long days, sunshine, vacation, hiking, swimming, outdoors, light meals. My list could go on and on. Summer is my favorite time of the year. The long days and bright sunshine really help me get sh#t done! Boise is not only situated far enough north but almost on the Pacific time zone line so we are rewarded with these fantastically long summer days.
Summer days equal cool, easy meals and treats. A few of my go-to recipes currently:
- Oh, She Glows, Chickpea Salad
- Hummus with cut-up veggies and pita chips. (Just made The Simple Veganista’s Simple White Bean hummus recipe. It turns out creamy, like store-bought).
- Veggie pizzas with olive oil (instead of pizza sauce) made on vegan naan. Use whatever veggies you have on hand/like. No recipe needed, use your imagination.
These two shrimp recipes are winners and Mr. Fantastic enjoys them both!
- Damn Delicious’ Asian Garlic Noodles (you could easily leave shrimp out or serve on the side for those who choose)
- The Girl Who Ate Everything’s Grilled shrimp tacos (these are easy to modify too)
My favorite treats right now is the Kitchn’s Vegan Chocolate-Date Smoothie and frozen grapes! We also made yummy melon pops that I spotted in a Martha Stewart magazine. The recipe has the vegan option to use coconut milk. I used coconut water and they were good. My guess is the coconut milk makes them less icy more creamy?
Summer Bucket List, So many places to go, things to see and do!
Travel and exploring are always top on my list no matter what time of year it is! This year, I’m a little light in travel itineraries. I am heading to CO in August and Driggs, ID right after Labor Day for hiking. We are shopping airfares now for a jaunt to Florida in early Oct when it should be warm enough to still swim but not super humid or crowded. And of course, there will be the road trip to Portland in September to move Miss Herbivore to Portland State.
My short list for July and August:
- Portland, OR,
- Hike Round the Mountain at Bogus Basin
- Make more t-shirt “rags”
- Participate in #PlasticFreeJuly (it’s not too late if you don’t know what that is check it out here – or Google it. It’s important)!!
- Clean out and organize laundry room and office closets
- Work on photography. Get out and take the camera with!
- Hike in Cascade and Idaho City, ID
- Plan a solo trip for late Sept (on way back from college drop off)
- River Tubes
- Miss Herbivore’s old bike