One of my goals this month is paying attention to what I am putting into my body. Soups are a great way for me to get extra veggies and hydration. This soup from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe is a go-to for me! It’s easy and fast to make, tastes amazing and is filling. This soup is also perfect for sharing! Make a batch for delivery to someone in need or just because! I usually include a loaf of sourdough bread and a simple dessert.
Smokey Lentil and Potato Soup – Recipe by Mel’s Kitchen Cafe (this is the stovetop directions and my preferred way of preparing).
- 1/2 cup diced yellow or white onion
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 3 gloves garlic, minced (I use my microplane and grate it into the pot)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound red potatoes (or yellow potatoes)
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 1 cup green or brown lentils, rinsed
- 8 cups veggie stock (or your preferred stock)
- 8 – 10 oz chopped kale (optional)
- Sauté diced onions, carrots and celery in 2 – 3 tablespoons of broth (you can sub 1 T oil if you prefer). When the veggies are tender add the garlic, stirring constantly so it does not burn, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the cumin and smoked paprika and stir until fragrant to let the spices bloom.
- Add green lentils, red lentils and potatoes and stir.
- Add all the broth and bring to a simmer. Cover and let cook, stirring occasionally for about 45 minutes or until the lentils and potatoes are fully cooked. Before serving add the chopped kale and let cook another minute or two. Salt and pepper to taste.
This is soup is delicious right away but like most soups is better the next day! ENJOY!
Next up Veggie Chili