This Week’s Plant-Based Delicious-ness AKA Eating Well to Reduce My Stroke Risk
Post stroke I definitely want to stay on the healthier side of my diet. That was definitely my main motivation for evolving to a primarily plant-based diet. That, and Miss Herbivore, our teenage daughter, who went vegan. The more I researched this lifestyle the more it makes sense to me. (Mr. Fantastic is not a 100% on board).
After my stroke, I did lose my taste for red meat and that’s ok with me. I still enjoy fish on occasion and I have been know to dabble in fried chicken.
My dietary choices can help me manage my stroke risks by lowering my cholesterol, blood pressure and helping me try to maintain a healthy weight. Here are a few resources if you are interested:
- See what the American Heart Association says about healthy eating here
- Stoke Association – Nutrition tips for stroke survivors
- Everyday Health – Making Dietary Changes After a Stroke
- Cleveland Clinic – Eating Well After a Stroke
- Stroke Foundation – Diet After Stroke Fact Sheet
My culinary adventures this week include a variety of international flavors and a bonus cucumber vodka soda!
- Oh She Glows – Energizing Spicy Broccoli Dal – I thought this was better the next day
- Gourmet Getaways – Spicy Lentil Curry – I REALLY liked this dish. I served it at my book club and everyone wanted a to-go container of the leftovers. I think the spice combination and preparation were the key to this super tasty dish (they may not be your every day spices but I find that I use them frequently and they are worth the investment).
- Thug Kitchen – Pad Thai with Dry Fried Tofu – this turned out good. I will make again as a cold salad.
- Vegan Comfort Classics, Lauren Toyota – Creamy Vegan Mushroom Fettuccine Alfredo This is the best stand in I’ve found for Alfredo sauce. That being said I’ve been dairy free for about a year. AKA this is an acquired taste (IMO).
- Oh, she Glows – Salt & Vinegar Roasted Chick Peas – Tasty variation on this perfect snack.
- How Sweet Eats – Cucumber Vodka Soda – I liked this for happy hour on the patio on a warm evening. However, not everyone was a fan.
If a plant-based lifestyle interests you – for health (or ethical) reasons – but you don’t want to jump in with both feet that’s ok. I made the changed gradually over about 9 months. Change can be overwhelming and I’ve been the most successful with small incremental changes. Do what works for you!